The southwest African country on Namibia is a delight to visit on holiday. The country is distinguished by the Namib Desert, a vast expanse of beautiful, ghost-like landscape stretching along its Atlantic Ocean coastline. Namibia is home to a unique and diverse collection of wildlife, famous for its significant cheetah population.
Windhoek is the capital of Namibia and was colonised by the Germans. Both Windhoek and the coastal town of Swakopmund have beautiful colonial-era buildings, such as Windhoeks’s Christuskirche, a building build in 1907!
To the north, Namibia has wonderful National parks, home to rhinos and giraffes, such as the salt pans of Etosha.
Activities in Namibia
Many people believe Namibia to be one of the most beautiful countries to visit in Africa, and indeed the world. The country offers many breath-taking sights, but what else is there to do?
- Rockclimbing at Spitzkoppe: Spitzkoppe has beautiful rounded granite peaks towering 700m over the Namib desert, perfect for rock climbing adventures for the brave at heart
- Skydiving: Imagine being taken up into the clear skies over the Namib desert and Atlantic ocean? The thrill of skydiving in the region is a popular holiday activity
- Sandboarding: another popular holiday activity in Namibia is that of sandboarding along the vast and awe-inspiring dunes of the Namib desert
- Hot air balloon rides over the massive Namib-Naukluft National Park will take your breathe away!
- Kitesurfing and landboarding: Swakopmund provides a vast flat surface to allow the bravest of the brave to harness the winds of southwest Africa. Experienced kitesurfers/landboarders have long considered this the holy grail of their sport
- Hiking along the Fish River Canyon will be a highlight of any visit to Namibia.
The above list of activities is by no means extensive, but does give some food-for-thought on what excellent holiday activities are available to the adventurous soul willing to tame the vastt beauty of Namibia.